T: What’s the matter? You look upset.
M: I give up! I’ll never learn the past tense of these verbs.
T: That’s easy. Just add ed to make the past tense.
M: I mean the irregular verbs. You have to learn them by heart. The past of go is went. It’s crazy!
T: Why don’t you sleep with the grammar book under your pillow? Maybe that will help.
M: Don’t make fun of me. This is serious. We’re going to have a test next week.
T: I’m sorry. I’ll help you brush up on those verbs
- What’s the matter?: used for asking someone if there is a problem
- Give up: to stop trying to do sth
- By heart: to learn something in such a way that you can say it from memory
- Make fund of: to make a joke about someone or something in a way that is not kind
- Brush up on: to improve your knowledge of something