Common English Phrases and 120 Useful English Phrases for Everyday Use
Do you want to say more than “Hi” and “hello”, or “how are you today”? We are sure that you would like to speak English like a native speaker
Today we would like to share with you 120 common English phrases that people use every day. They are useful phrases that you should learn, remember if you want to speak like a native speaker.
Below are 120 common Phrases, let’s get started!
- Lesson 1: as easy as pie means “very easy” (same as “a piece of cake”)
- Lesson2: about to (do something) means to be on the point of doing something
- Lesson 3: get rid of (something) means to give or throw something away, to sell or destroy
- Lesson 4: in favor of (someone or something) means to approve or support someone or something
- Lesson 5: point out (someone or something) means to explain or call attention to someone or something
1. as easy as pie means “very easy” (same as “a piece of cake”)
Example: He said it is a difficult problem, but I don’t agree. It seems as easy as pie to
2. be sick and tired of means “I hate” (also “can’t stand”)
Example: I’m sick and tired of doing nothing but work. Let’s go out tonight and have fun.
25. about to (do something) means to be on the point of doing something
Example: I was about to leave when the phone rang.
26. according to (someone or something) means as said or told by someone, in agreement with something, in the order of something, in proportion to something
Example: According to our teacher, there will be no class next week. We did everything according to the terms of our agreement.
61. get rid of (something) means to give or throw something away, to sell or destroy something, to make a cold or fever disappear
Example: I bought a new television set so I want to get rid of the old one.
62. get through (something) means to complete something, to finish something
Example: My friend is having trouble getting through her final exams. I have much reading that I must get through before tomorrow.
Download: This blog post is available as a convenient and portable PDF that you can take anywhere. Click here to get a copy. (Download)