Oh, hi, John! I was just thinking about you.
That’s nice. I was wondering if you’d like to go to a
Sure, I’d love to! What’s playing?
I was thinking about that new comedy Lights Out. What do
OK, I’ll pick you up around 7:30. The movie starts at 8:00.
See you then. Bye!
- Hi, Alice, it’s John: Hi, ____, it’s ____ is a casual and friendly way to say hello on the
phone. Although “it’s” means “it is,” it is used to mean “I am” here.
- Oh, hi, John! Notice the rising intonation here. Alice is excited to hear from John and is
very pleased that he called her.
- I was wondering if you’d like to … This is a polite and indirect way of asking “Do you
want to …?” John is nervous and does not want to appear too direct or bold. Notice
how the question goes up at the end, which shows that he is not overly confident.
- Sure! I’d love to means “Yes, I would love to.” Notice that Alice is very enthusiastic
and friendly. She wants John to feel comfortable about asking her out on a date.
- I was thinking about … / What do you think? Again, John does not want to appear
too bold. He wants to give Alice a chance to suggest a movie.
- Sounds great! Is an informal way of saying “That is a good plan.
- I’ll pick you up is an informal way of saying “I’ll come to your house so that we can
Souce: Embassy of the United States of America